- Target Audience
- Violent extremistsPrison / probationFormers
- key themes association
- Deradicalisation/disengagementPrison and probation
DERAD –Extremismusprävention und Demokratie. English: DERAD –Extremism-Prevention and Democracy. (and EMJD – Muslim Jewish Dialogue)
Type of Organisation: Other
We use counter- and alternative narratives focused on the political ideology of ‘political Salafiyya’, which can lead to violent extremism and consequently terrorism.
The examples and methods that we use are based on al-aqida, fiqh, manhaj, pedagogy, history, civic education, and human rights. The practice was set up to prevent violent extremism and achieve deradicalisation in prisons as well as among clients who are on probation.
The practice is also used for clients in a non-legal context, and who are very often part of a social network of radicalised people. The NGO DERAD has 13 members, all academics who are pedagogues, Islamic and/or political scientists.
Due to the fact that we are first-line practitioners and scientists, we conduct studies and teach at universities and other platforms of learning and adult education. Our clients are both right- and left-wing extremists.
- Work in prisons in collaboration with the Ministry of Justice. Talk with convicted terrorists, foreign fighters or supporters of terrorist organisations about: radicalisation, disengagement, demobilisation. The methods are described above. This work continues after their release from prison.
- Assessment of possible radicalisation of inmates in prisons and other institutions such as schools, refugee camps, etc.
- Disengagement for people on probation.
- Activities with former foreign fighters, such as workshops and DERAD, as part of an exit-strategy to interact with society.
- Group sessions for imprisoned persons in regard to prevention and education.
- Training for prison officers, social workers and psychologists.
- Research and publications on this topic like mentioned below.
- Research on the Muslim Brotherhood.
- University lectures.
Mariahilfer Str. 121 / 1 / Top 6
Contact person: Moussa Al-Hassan Diaw
deradaustriagmail [dot] com (Email) | Website