From 2021 to 2027, the European Commission allocated EUR 10.7 billion to the 27 EU countries for programmes in the field of migration, border management, and security. The total amount includes EUR 5.8 billion for the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF), EUR 3.8 billion for the Border Management and Visa Instrument (BMVI), and EUR 1.1 billion for activities in the Internal Security Fund (ISF).
The AMIF supports projects aiming to:
- Develop a Common European Asylum System;
- Promote legal migration and integration of non-EU nationals
- Counter irregular migration and ensure effective return and readmission;
- Enhance solidarity and fair sharing of responsibility between Member States.
The BMVI supports effective European integrated border management and common visa policy. Under the programme, the EU countries can, among others, carry out checks and surveillance at the external borders, develop large-scale IT systems, equipment and technologies for border management.
The ISF aims to improve information exchange and cross-border cooperation to prevent and combat terrorism, radicalisation, serious and organised crime and cybercrime. The funding will include support to ensure consistent application of EU law as well as mutual learning and exchange of good practices for internal security.
- Publication date
- 9 March 2023
- Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs