For our RAN Youth & Education (Y&E) Working Group meeting, we are looking for youth workers, teachers and other educational professionals with experience in preventive work through arts. Practitioners who can provide concrete examples from daily practices, or who experience challenges around this topic, are invited to respond to this call for participants
Background and aim of this meeting
Using arts can be key in early prevention work, which is a main focus of the Y&E working group. Inclusion can be fostered through art citizenship, experiential and intercultural learning. Art is also a way for young people to connect with others, express their feelings and thoughts, have a dialogue, and to address issues that feed the breeding ground of radicalisation, such as discrimination, exclusion, stigmatisation etc.
This will be an exploratory meeting on the role of art as a method to facilitate dialogue, and to foster inclusion and expression. This meeting will look into specific projects where for example drama, music, dance, creative writing and painting are used to reach out and engage with youngsters vulnerable for recruitment. We will focus on common challenges and formulate practical recommendations for teachers and youth workers on how to include art in their daily practice. The conclusions will be disseminated in a conclusion paper.
Building on: RAN has not dedicated any previous activities to art. However, we will build on the Y&E meetings of 2021, focusing on collaboration of local partners.
Target audience: teachers, youth workers, principals, pedagogues, art initiatives.
Questions that will be discussed during the meeting include:
- How does/can art contribute to PVE?
- Which risks and protective factors could art focus on to contribute to PVE?
- What elements should an art project include to prevent radicalisation and violent extremism?
- What elements do these types of art projects use to foster inclusion?
- What are the most common challenges in relation to the implication of art projects within PVE?
- How to include art in your daily practice as a youth worker or teacher?
- How to develop local partnerships with art project in your neighbourhood?
How to register?
If you can provide concrete examples from daily practices, or if you experience challenges around this topic, please register here. We will invite participants based on the information in the registration link.
Please note that we can only invite a limited number of participants to this meeting to ensure valuable exchange and interaction, so participation for this meeting is not guaranteed.
If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact b [dot] broedersradaradvies [dot] nl (Boy Broeders) or p [dot] woltmanradaradvies [dot] nl (Pomme Woltman).
- Publication date
- 3 October 2022
- Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs