Today, the European Commission is proposing a new Pact on Migration and Asylum, covering all of the different elements needed for a comprehensive European approach to migration. It sets out improved and faster procedures throughout the asylum and migration system and sets in balance the principles of fair sharing of responsibility and solidarity. This is crucial for rebuilding trust between Member States and confidence in the capacity of the European Union to manage migration.
Following extensive consultations and an honest and holistic assessment of the situation, the Commission proposes to improve the overall system. This includes looking at ways of improving cooperation with the countries of origin and transit, ensuring effective procedures, successful integration of refugees and return of those with no right to stay. No single solution on migration can satisfy all sides, on all aspects – but by working together, the EU can find a common solution.
The Commission is today putting forward a Communication and a package of 9 instruments:
- a new Screening Regulation,
- an amended proposal revising the Asylum Procedures Regulation,
- an amended proposal revising the Eurodac Regulation,
- a new Asylum and Migration Management Regulation,
- a new Crisis and Force Majeure Regulation,
- a new Migration Preparedness and Crisis Blueprint,
- a new Recommendation on Resettlement and complementary pathways,
- a new Recommendation on Search and Rescue operations by private vessels,
- new Guidance on the Facilitators Directive.
An Evidence document detailing the evidence and experience that underpin the legislative initiatives proposed under the Pact accompanies these proposals.
The Commission also announced today a dedicated taskforce to improve the situation on the island of Lesvos in a durable way. The taskforce will implement a joint pilot with the Greek authorities for new reception facilities.
For more information:
- IP on the Pact
- IP on the Lesvos task force
- Legal documents - New Pact on Migration and Asylum
- MEMO: New Pact on Migration and Asylum
- MEMO: Building on the progress made since 2016 - New Pact on Migration and Asylum
- Commission webpage on New Pact on Migration and Asylum
- Statistics on migration to Europe
- Дата на публикуване
- 23 Септември 2020 г.