Date of roadmap: 28/03/2017
The Visa Information System (VIS) supports the implementation of the common EU visa policy. It allows Schengen States to exchange visa data. It consists of a central IT system and of a communication infrastructure that links this central system to national systems. VIS connects consulates in non-EU countries and all external border crossing points of Schengen States. It processes data and decisions relating to applications for short-stay visas to visit, or to transit through, the Schengen Area.
An evaluation of the system was finalised by the Commission in October 2016. It analysed the performance of the VIS as a system, its implementation in practice and the extent to which it has reached its policy objectives, including its added value to the common visa policy. The final Report of the evaluation identified a number of areas where improvement was necessary or could be envisaged. On the basis of this evaluation, the Commission issued recommendations regarding the need for revision or extension of the VIS functions.
This initiative builds on the evaluation of the VIS but also aims to respond to evolving policy, legal or factual developments in the field of visa and border crossing.
View the inception impact assessment for this initiative
The inception impact assessment informs stakeholders and citizens about the initiative.
Take part in the consultation activities
View the consultation strategy. The consultation strategy outlines the consultation objectives, maps the relevant stakeholders and explains which consultation methods and tools the European Commission is considering using in the course of the impact assessment. Please note that this document is provided for information only and does not commit the European Commission in any way.
- To take part in the open public consultation on lowering the fingerprinting age for children in the visa procedure from 12 years to 6 years, please visit the public consultation webpage. This public consultation will remain open until 9/11/2017.
- To take part in the open public consultation on extending the scope of the VIS to include data on long stay visas and residence documents, please visit the public consultation webpage. This public consultation will remain open until 9/02/2018.
View the reference documents
- Council Decision 2004/512/EC of 8 June 2004 establishing the Visa Information System (VIS)
- Regulation 767/2008/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 July 2008 concerning the Visa Information System (VIS) and the exchange of data between Member States on short-stay visas (VIS Regulation)
- Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on the implementation of Regulation (EC) No 767/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing the Visa Information System (VIS), the use of fingerprints at external borders and the use of biometrics in the visa application procedure (COM(2016) 655 final)
- Evaluation of the implementation of Regulation (EC) No 767/2008 of the European Parliament and Council concerning the Visa Information System (VIS) and the exchange of data between Member States on short-stay visas (VIS Regulation) (SWD(2016) 328 final) + Executive Summary (SWD(2016) 327 final)