Date of roadmap: April 2015
The purpose of this evaluation is to analyse the performance of the VIS as a system, how it has been implemented in practice and the extent to which it reached its policy objectives, including its added value to the EU common visa policy.
The results of the evaluation will feed into a more general assessment of the need for further action in this area. If the evaluation reveals any implementation problems, the Commission may engage in bilateral exchanges with Member States to address the weaknesses and to achieve better implementation. The Commission may also foresee practical measures and/or facilitate further exchange of information and good practices in the framework of existing structures to improve the effectiveness of the VIS implementation. The evaluation may also reveal a need for amendments on any aspect of the VIS which could be subject to the subsequent impact assessment. After the evaluation, the Commission will deliver a report to be transmitted to the European Parliament and the Council.
View the roadmaps for this initiative
The roadmap informs stakeholders and citizens about the initiative.
Send your feedback on the roadmaps
Stakeholders are invited to provide feedback on the roadmaps within 4 weeks after they are published.
Feedback can be provided in all official languages of the EU, may be published and taken into account by the Commission services during the evaluation process.
View the feedback received
No feedback received.
Disclaimer: The information and views contained in the feedbacks published are those of the authors and do not reflect the official opinion of the European Commission. The Commission does not guarantee the accuracy of the information contained therein. Neither the Commission nor any person acting on the Commission's behalf may be held responsible for the content and the use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Take part in the consultation activities
Due to the technical nature of this evaluation no public consultation took place.
View the evaluation report
- Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council
- Evaluation report summary
- Evaluation report
View the reference documents
- Regulation (EC) No. 767/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 July 2008 concerning the Visa Information System (VIS) and the exchange of data between Member States on short-stay visas (VIS Regulation)
- Regulation (EC) No. 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Visa Code)
- Council Decision 2008/633/JHA of 23 June 2008 concerning access for consultation of the Visa Information System (VIS) by designated authorities of Member States and by Europol for the purposes of the prevention, detection and investigation of terrorist offences and of other serious criminal offences
- Council Decision No 512/2004 establishing the Visa Information System (VIS)