We are pleased to invite you to attend the RAN webinar on ‘The Violent Side of Incels and Challenges for P/CVE’ which takes place on 23 March 2021 from 16.00 – 17.20 CET.
How to register for this webinar?
- Please register by following .
- Since this is a webinar, you do not need to respond to this email.
- Please note that this is a personal invitation based on your attendance of earlier RAN events. If you are not able to attend the meeting, the invitation cannot be transferred to others without prior approval of the RAN Practitioners staff.
Background and aim of this meeting
Involuntary celibates, also known are incels, are a highly complex phenomenon. In recent years, a focus has been placed on the violent sub-forms of the phenomenon and on its potential interlinkages with violent extremist ideologies and scenes. In some instances, the phenomenon itself was dubbed a new form of extremism.
A previous small-scale expert meeting on the topic showed that the issue needs to be addressed further within the P/CVE sphere. This is especially due to a persisting lack of awareness among many stakeholders and first-line practitioners working in P/CVE practice or related fields. Additionally, many gaps remain regarding application-oriented knowledge on the topic.
The aim of this webinar is to raise awareness on the relevancy of the topic and key challenges around it in relation to P/CVE. Furthermore, it aims to contribute to the discussion on how to best interact with this phenomenon in the P/CVE space. Three experts on the phenomonen of incels will share their thoughts on the following key questions:
- What are the basic characteristics of the incel ideology and how did it develop?
- What do we know about incels themselves?
- What can P/CVE practice do to prevent and counter violence linked to incels (specifically in the digital environment and in offline work)?
Please refer to the attached draft programme for more information on the structure and the experts. Please note that as this is a webinar, the possibility for interaction will be limited. Questions to speakers can be asked by using the Q&A function.
If you have any questions or remarks, please contact a [dot] jansenradaradvies [dot] nl (Annelies Jansen).