Today, the new European Union Agency for Asylum starts work with its reinforced mandate, building on the achievements of its predecessor, the European Asylum Support Office. The new agency is a key deliverable under the New Pact on Migration and Asylum. It will help ensure that asylum decisions are taken in a fast and fair manner and that reception standards converge across the EU, bringing more uniformity in decision-making and alignment between Member States’ asylum systems.
Building on the experience of the European Asylum Support Office, the new agency will have a reinforced mandate that will contribute to:
- More efficient asylum systems
- Improved assistance through a reserve of 500 experts
- Uniform, high-quality decision-making by developing operational standards, guidelines and best practices for the implementation of Union law on asylum
- Greater convergence in the recognition rates by developing country guidance on countries of origin
- Better monitoring and reporting on Member States’ asylum and reception systems
- Capacity building in non-EU countries to improve asylum and reception systems and support EU and Member State resettlement schemes
- An independent Fundamental Rights Officer and a new complaints mechanism will ensure the safeguard of asylum applicants’ rights.
For more information:
- Közzététel dátuma
- 19 január 2022
- Migrációügyi és Uniós Belügyi Főigazgatóság