EMN Roundtable on Sustainable migration from Africa to Europe: briefing paper
The European Migration Network (EMN) and EMN Norway organised an online Roundtable on Sustainable migration from Africa to Europe on 9 December 2020.
It explored how to define and operationalise the concept of ‘sustainable migration’ by considering the whole-of-route approach from countries of origin to destination. By bringing together policymakers, researchers and practitioners representing different sectors and perspectives, the event fostered a better understanding of how to design sustainable migration policies that work for Europe and for third countries.
At a glance, the main research findings are introduced below:
- EU policymakers are giving renewed attention to achieving ‘’sustainable migration”, which aims to benefit both the European and African countries involved.
- Regional solutions represent a sustainable and politically viable option to address the need for international protection.
- Regional solutions are not designed as a containment strategy but, rather, see the choice to migrate as an integral part of individual and social transformation.
- Circular migration could provide a sustainable model for labour migration and a basis for constructive dialogue with third countries.
- Datum der Veröffentlichung
- 28 Januar 2021