The Prison Working Group brings together practitioners from the prison sector such as prison staff, governors, psychiatrists, chaplains, and more.
The Working Group focuses on supporting these practitioners who have a role in preventing radicalisation.
The group will exchange ideas, best practices, contacts and insights to formulate recommendations for policy making.
Police, prison and probation services are known as the Triple-P. All three work in tandem when dealing with radicalised and terrorist offenders before, during and after imprisonment.
Coordination between police, prison and probation services is paramount. Especially today when Member States are dealing with an increasing number of offenders being released from prison after serving sentences for terrorism-related crimes.
There are also detainees imprisoned for non-terrorist offences who might become radicalised in prison and then released. The RAN Policy and Practice event in Paris on 22 November 2018 focused on how to enhance cooperation frameworks within, between and beyond the triple-P organisations to deal effectively with radicalised and terrorist offenders.
The number of extremist offenders incarcerated in Europe has increased. As a result, a significant number of convicts will be released in the near future.
The question now is how to reintegrate those who have served their prison sentences and how to prevent further violent extremist acts.
RAN brought together policymakers and practitioners from the police, prison and probation services, to discuss the challenges of resocialisation in Vienna on November 6, 2018.
Following RAN activities and Working Group meetings, an ex-post paper highlights lessons learned, insights and follow-up initiatives.
- The role of civil society organisations in exit work, May 2022
- RAN PRISONS The role of multi-agency cooperation in dealing with female returnees in prison and protecting the rights of children with imprisoned parents, online meeting 5-6 April 2022
- RAN Study Visit to Paris on ‘Effective management of the prison-exit continuum’, online event 07-08 December 2021
- RAN PRISONS How to effectively train prison staff and partners for P/CVE, online meeting 04-05 November 2021 (also available in French and German)
- RAN Cross-cutting Thematic Event Released violent extremist or terrorist offenders – Continuity between prison, probation and reintegration, online meeting 06 October 2021
- RAN PRISONS Practitioners’ questions and needs for the future, based on experiences in dealing with Foreign Terrorist Fighters and Violent Extremist or Terrorist Offenders, online meeting 23-24 June 2021 (also available in French and German)
- Small Scale Expert Meeting P/CVE in Prison and Dynamic Security, online meeting 27 May 2021
- RAN Small-scale meeting New offender types & appropriate measures of Exit work, online meeting 24 March 2021 (also available in French and German)
- RAN small-scale meeting Digital Exit Work, online meeting 15 March 2021 (also available in French and German)
- Risk Assessment in Prison, 2021
- RAN Small Scale Meeting Radicalised and Terrorist Reoffenders, online meeting 27 January 2021 (also available in French and German)
- RAN Small Scale Meeting Radicalised police, military and prison staff, online meeting 16 December 2020 (also available in French and German)
- RAN PRISONS Risk and Needs Assessment Tools, online meeting 10 December 2020 (also available in French and German)
- RAN P&P Current Challenges of Sentenced Extremists for Prison Regimes, Lisbon 21-22 November 2019 (also available in French and German)
- RAN PRISONS Religious counselling, training and interfaith dialogue in prison, online meeting 06-07 October 2020 (also available in French and German)
- RAN P&P and RAN YF&C Radicalised and terrorist offenders released from prison: Community and family acceptance, Prague 06-07 June 2019 (also available in French and German)
- RAN P&P and RAN EXIT Building Bridges, Prague 05-06 June 2019 (also available in French and German)
- RAN Policy & Practice Dealing with violent extremis and terrorist offenders, Paris December 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN Policy and Practice Dealing with radicalised individuals during and after imprisonment, Vienna 06 November 2018 (also available in French)
- RAN P&P meeting on 'Prisons as a breeding ground for radicalisation', Budapest 25-26 October 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN POL and RAN P&P Triple P: Coordination and collaboration between police, prison and probation services in dealing with violent extremist and terrorist offenders, Prague 20-21 September 2018
- RAN P&P Developing, implementing and using risk assessment for violent extremist and terrorist offenders, Brussels 09-10 July 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN Study visit Juvenile and young violent extremist offenders - Prison study visit, Wiesbaden and Frankfurt, 07-08 June 2018 (also available in French and German)
- RAN P&P The role of family and social networks in the rehabilitation of (violent) extremist and terrorist offenders, Utrecht 06-07 March 2018
- RAN P&P Right-wing extremism on the rise? Prague 12-13 December 2017
- RAN EXIT and P&P The role of religion in exit programmes and religious counselling in prison and probation settings, Madrid 10-11 October 2017 (also available in: French | German | Albanian | Macedonian | Serbian.)
- RAN P&P and Confederation of European Probation, Dublin 22-23 May 2017
- RAN P&P Approaches to violent extremist offenders and countering radicalisation in prisons and probation (also available in: French | German | Albanian | Macedonian | Slovenian | Serbian.)
- RAN P&P Plenary meeting of the RAN Prison and Probation Working Group, Riga 14-15 December 2016
- RAN P&P Study visit of the RAN Prison and Probation Working Group, Venice and Padua 26-27 October 2016
- RAN P&P Exit programmes and interventions in prison and probation, Berlin, 14-15 June 2016
- RAN P&P Multiagency cooperation around radicalised offenders, Stockholm 24-25 February 2016
- RAN P&P Visit Penitentiary Institute, Vught 26 November 2015