In the context of return, an operation conducted at the national level, on the basis of bilateral agreements or Memoranda of Understanding between the EU or EU Member States and third countries, by which teams of experts from these third countries are invited to/deployed in EU Member States in order to officially confirm the nationality and complete the identification process of their nationals, who are not eligible for stay in the EU.
Derived by EMN from the European Commission: Fact Sheet on the Partnership Framework on Migration, 13 June 2017.
- BG: мисия за идентифициране
- CS: identifikační mise
- DE: Mission zur Identitätsfeststellung
- EL: αναγνωριστική αποστολή
- EN: identification mission
- ES: Misión de identificación
- ET: isikutuvastamise missioon
- FI: tunnistamiskäynti
- FR: mission d'identification
- IT: missione di identificazione
- LT: tapatybės nustatymo misija
- LV: identificēšanas misija
- MT: Missjoni t’identifikazzjoni
- NL: Identificatiemissie
- PL: misja identyfikacyjna
- PT: missão de identificação
- SK: misia za účelom identifikácie štátneho príslušníka tretej krajiny
- SL: identifikacijska misija
- SV: identifieringsuppdrag
- NO: ID-avklaringsoppdrag
- Improving return and readmission has been a key objective under the Partnership Framework with third countries. It has used formal approaches such as the negotiation of readmission agreements and more informal tools, such as Standard Operating Procedures and conducting technical and identification missions.
- These missions are used by EU Member States to unblock cases where return has failed due to a missing return document. The purpose of the missions is to determine the nationality of the return candidate.
- They are conducted under the aegis of the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex). Frontex distinguishes between long-term identification missions (i.e. whereby the deployment of third country experts in an EU Member State takes place over a long period of time) and short-term Identification missions (i.e. ad hoc missions).
- For more information about the effectiveness of identification missions compared to other tools see: Fourth Progress Report on the Partnership Framework with third countries under the European Agenda on Migration, Reportfrom the EU Commission, COM(2017) 350final.