The variable geometry indicates the applicability of the instrument with regard to EU Member States and certain third countries.
- The default setting is that instruments are applicable to 25 EU Member States, i.e. Member States except Ireland and Denmark, which hold opt outs
- ‘Ireland’ is listed in case the country has exercised its opt in option or if it has been authorised to participate in a specific measure belonging to the Schengen acquis;
- ‘Denmark’ is listed in case the instrument belongs to the Schengen acquis or is exceptionally applicable to Denmark through an international agreement (example);
- ‘Associated Countries’ indicates the instrument also applies to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. When the instrument is part of the Schengen Acquis, it is listed as ‘- Schengen’. Instruments that form part of the Dublin Acquis are listed as ‘- Dublin’. All other instruments applicable to these countries that are neither part of the Schengen Acquis nor the Dublin Acquis are listed as ‘- Other’;
- ‘EEA’ indicates that the instrument also applies to countries of European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway).
- ‘UK (Withdrawal agreement - NI)’ indicates that the instrument also applies to Northern Ireland through the Withdrawal Agreement concluded with the United Kingdom.